Essentials For The Perfect Small Entryway
Did you see the eclipse yesterday? We sure did, though, barely. We created makeshift projectors to safely view it, but it didn't work as expected and the whole phenomenon was being covered by a large sheet of clouds. I got to see a small glimpse of the moon moving and that alone was awesome! Well, let's focus on today's topic of discussion, shall we? Naturally, everyone would love their home to offer a beautiful and welcoming entrance as well as the possibility of causing a great first impression for their guests upon entering the home. This is why we pay loads of attention to a home's entrance hall, striving for a gorgeous, though equally functional space, that from the start, helps set the tone of the entire home.
It seems I am particularly in awe of entryways because I am constantly looking them up on Pinterest and browsing our Entryway Board for inspiration. I'm also known to dissect a photograph and pin point why I love it so much, determining the factors that make a particular interior so great. New York City is known for its stunning architecture, ridiculously small apartments with equally ridiculous price points. A New York City apartment may be on the smaller side, but that does not mean one should compromise on style, form or function. Lets discuss entryways, today and discover all the essentials for the perfect big or small area in your home that you will forever be confident enough to show off to your guests.
Essentials For The Perfect Small Entryway
- Landing Wall - A designated wall that will be used to place the essentials
- Console Table - We think a console table is an imperative choice for any entryway because it offers a great surface in which to place things, you know? We prefer consoles with drawers, two tiered or an actual narrow cabinet that can doable as storage.
- Mirror - Helps widen the space, reflect the light, and of course, you'll now get a quick look at yourself before leaving the home, so that's always good.
- Art - If you prefer a piece of art above the console table, by all means, please use it. We recommend a substantial frame and if you're using smaller frames, make sure to place them in a way where they can all serve as one single piece of art. I think this creates a great balance.
- Lighting - We cannot stress enough how important lighting is for any space. Depending on the size of your entryway, you may get away with a single overhead light (change it up if you must), but if you can, add in a table lamp or sconce to the equation for a special and sophisticated approach. If you can't use a hardwired sconce, there are a few plug-in options out there that could also be used. If you don't have access to a wall plug anywhere near your entryway (I mention this because I've come across way too many apartments with zero plugs where you need them. Blah!) then don't forget extension cords. Remember those? Yep, extensions can be authentic life savers.
- Baskets + Trays - Ideal for storing little items like your keys, small clock or roller ball perfume (I love leaving my perfumes at the entryway because that way I can apply it before leaving the house. Truthfully, I prefer to not bombard the entire apartment with my perfume, which is why I began doing this a few years back).
- Accessories - We prefer minimal things when styling console tables, but we always choose at least one very substantial piece for instant impact. This could be a large vase, bowl, box, sculpture or flower arrangement. We could of course, use a combination of all of these in varying sizes for a special and well balanced vignette.
- Seating - Your entryway may not be big enough to fit in seating, but if it is remotely close to fitting one, please don't miss the opportunity to drop in a bench or stool. We guarantee you will need it at some point. Unless the space is wide enough, we don't particular love the idea of an actual chair in an entryway because it just seems like you didn't have anywhere else to put it, rather than intentional. A narrow bench with an upholstered single seat cushion is a very classic choice we'll recommend time and time again.
- Rug - A rug will anchor the space and delineate the area beautifully. We love the idea of utilizing a vintage piece that coordinates with the rest of the home.
- Greenery - We briefly mentioned "flower arrangement" in #7 and with reason. Most likely than not, we'll for sure add in some sort of greenery and/or blooms to our entryway console table. We think it is so important to inject a natural element that will brighten up the space.
Entryway: Console Table - Purchase Through Synonymous, Lamp - Circa Lighting , Mirror - Purchase Through Synonymous , Faux Flower Arrangement - Purchase Through Synonymous , Standing Magnifying Glass - Purchase Through Synonymous , Blue + White Jar - Purchase Through Synonymous ,
Candle - The White Company